Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 February 2018

The Art of Frugal Hedonisn

 The Art of Frugal Hedonism: A Guide to Spending Less While Enjoying Everything More, is a book written by Melbourne locals Annie Raser-Rowland and Adam Grubb that I read recently.

Ties in with my rather feeble attempts at leading a more minimalist life (it's a slow process, but I continue to chip away at excess and reconsider purchases) and is a quirky, interesting little book.

What is Frugal Hedonism?  It's basically the idea that what we spend money on is not necessarily what makes us happy.  The books ideas are nothing new or mind-blowing, but it does make you stop and think about waste and consumerism. I want to get off the hamster wheel that is work more to buy/spend more - it's just a habit we get into.  I figure that sometimes consciously trying to be more frugal makes you more inventive and you end up with a few more dollars in your pocket to boot.

So what do I hope to achieve?  I'm not going to be quiet as radical as Annie and Adam - no bin rummaging or eating road kill just yet.  I feel a little list coming on.....

1. Reduce/change my spending habits
2. Find simple/free ways to spend time with family and friends
3. Do less paid work, so I have more time and energy to do other stuff
4. Get back to getting rid of stuff - just as soon as I get the bloody cast off my leg
5. Cut back on eating out and take-away

After reading the book, I went and got out (can I point out that both these books I borrowed from the library) their other book The Weed Forager's Handbook.  Another interesting little book and no idea that so many of those pesky weeds are edible and very good for you!  Maybe I'll have to try one of their upcoming Edible Weed Walks and Workshops around Melbourne. Dandelion tea anyone? Or maybe Fat Hen stir fry? Tastes just like spinach - apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment